Skip to main content

Why Teen Me Was a Creative Genius (and How Adult Me Can Be Too)

I’ve never felt more creative than when I was a teenager, and lately, I’ve been wondering why that was. It's not a single reason, of course, but I can pinpoint a few key factors.

Firstly, I was in school. Every day, I attended a place where I could meet people, learn new things, and participate in group dynamics. Most importantly, I felt a sense of belonging among like-minded peers.

High school and college created an environment where I felt safe and confident to imagine and create. I could write for long hours, often late at night or between classes and activities. It wasn’t something I forced; it just happened naturally.

Being around real people and situations sparked inspiration for my stories. I wrote plays, novels, poems, screenplays—anything and everything. I didn’t always review or share my work, but I put it on paper and constantly sought stories everywhere.

I don’t think I had more spare time than I do now as an adult, but somehow, I found the time to write. Which brings me to the second reason for that creative burst.

I had fewer worries. Yes, school assignments, exams, social events, and my first few jobs stressed me out. But my basic needs and most of my “problems” were covered by my parents, teachers, and other adults in my life. I didn’t have to worry about paying rent, taxes, or utilities. The money I earned from my jobs was for me and my entertainment. I was healthy, active, and a go-getter. This is key to being creative.

Creativity doesn’t always come naturally; you need the right headspace. Where do you find headspace to be creative when you have a thousand things on your mind? That’s the challenge—a challenge I didn’t face back then.

Then, there was the odd teenage self-awareness. One stray hair on my legs would stop me from going to the pool, yet I was happy to do all sorts of things that would embarrass me today.

This strange self-awareness made me fearless in front of an audience, creating songs to study for tests and sharing them with classmates, and making a fool of myself in art class. The lower inhibition and risk-taking of teenagers fuel creativity, leading to hours of creative thinking and exploration. And boy, do I miss that.

As an adult, I am much more self-aware but in a different way. Constantly worrying about how others perceive me keeps me from trying new things and enjoying things I used to love. Of course, it’s good to learn lessons and avoid repeating mistakes, but it also takes away the freedom to express myself.

Now, I’m more critical of my work and rarely satisfied with what I write, often leading to creative blocks I almost never had as a teen. Rejection also hits harder, and it takes longer to recover before putting the writing hat back on.

Reflecting on these things, I realize there are ways to hack the brain and bring some of these feelings back to adult life.

Being part of a community, for instance. Whether it’s a writing workshop, a writing group, or a monthly Zoom call, relating to other like-minded people can create the encouraging environment we had in school.

Setting time to write (or be creative in general) is a great strategy to face the constant worries of adult life. If you dedicate time in your day to everything else, why not do it for something you love? Your problems will still be there when you’re done.

And finally, embrace failure. We all make mistakes, whether we’re cautious or teenager-crazy, so take your chances and see where they lead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Index Card Writing Method

This very easy (and effective) method works great for experienced and amateur writers alike since it allows you to see your structure and make modifications without spending time in writing and rewriting, it also helps to make sure that every scene contributes to the story and remove unnecessary scenes without getting rid of them completely. How does it work: Write each scene on an index card (post-its work too). You can either write (or print) the whole scene, or just headline and description. What matters is that you’re able to identify the scene by looking at the card alone. Organize the cards as they currently appear in your script. You can put them on a wall or board if you have them available but if you don’t, a table or floor will do the trick. Do some staring. Seriously, look at your cards and understand where you’re at and where you want to get. Are you getting there with the way the scenes are now? What do you need to change in order to get there? Is every scene contributing

What is a Script Consultant and why do you need one?

Screenwriting is no game,  it takes time, effort, and, genuinely, courage. But what happens when all the work has been done and you've managed to type "THE END", those magical words that appear to be the finishing line, but are indeed nothing close to it? Yeap, turns out that finishing the script is only the start of a long and sometimes bumpy journey; however, screenwriters are not alone. In the world of creative writing, a figure exists that is meant to make this process easier for anyone willing to take help: The Script Consultant. A Script Consultant is a writer or editor that instead (or aside) of writing, works with other writers and pieces to improve them, be it structure, plot, character development, or plain storytelling, a Script Consultant provides a very particular insight that helps the writer refine and polish the work done. But what exactly do they do? Well, it's a combination of several things - proofreading, analyzing, suggesting, and bouncing ideas..